12.30.2009

Same kind of different as me” book review


Books that are true stories are amazing to me, they pull me in and don’t let go. “Same kind of different as me” is a true story that pulled me in. The book is primarily about a homeless black man named “Denver” and a wealthy white couple, “Ron” and “Deborah”. The book details the upbringing of Denver and Ron as well as key stories that shaped both of them as people. Eventually Ron, Deborah and Denver’s paths cross and the book continues on telling their story from each side.

I don’t obviously want to give away too much of the book, but reading about Denver’s childhood was particularly interesting. He was raised in a family that worked on a cotton plantation and to see that their situation is no less then modern day slavery was a harsh reality. So often we hear of slavery as part of history or some other countries problem (like child sex trafficking), but to see how it still exists under a different disguise within our own country is something that needs to be brought more into the light. And this book does an incredible job of exposing this problem, putting names and faces to this issue will touch you more than any stats you could read on slavery or poverty.

Also, seeing the passionate lives of people who give themselves fully to serving others is incredible, as you find with Deborah. It’s refreshing to read about men and women of passion, because it in turn, stirs us. The dreams and things they (Ron and Deborah) do to serve the poor in their community is inspiring. Again, it’s a needed thing to read about passion and lives that reflect it, because it will push us in our own lives.

On a last note, Denver shows an incredible; depth, wisdom and love that shocked me. I guess I too wrote him off as being uneducated and not being able to contribute in certain ways because of that. But over and over he drops these amazing lines of wisdom and displays a radical love for those he’s loyal too. It was humbling to read.

I would encourage people who are interested in issues of social injustice, poverty, slavery or serving others to pick this book up and give it a read. Again, the fact that it’s a true story also gives the book a depth and personality that makes it hard to put down.

Same Kind of Different as me is written by Denver Moore and Ron Hall

Any of you read any good books lately? Leave a comment at the bottom of the page and let us know.

Enjoy this day,
Matt

P.S. I just read that they are going to be making this story into a movie, with Samuel L. Jackson playing Denver Moore. Should be worth a trip to see.

Save to delicious Saved by 0 users

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the review, i keep seeing that one and thinking about getting it! Now I know i need to read it, that is right up my alley!

Heather said...

I'm glad to help! Yeah, you won't be disappointed. Or at least... I hope you're not disappointed. Thanks for the comment.

Unknown said...

Well I can't wait for the movie! S.L.J. is awesome and I'm sure he'll do his part to make it a good movie.

Heather said...

Yeah, it's kinda like his role in "resurrecting the champ" which he did really well at. Denver's character is pretty sweet so it will be a good fit for good ole S.L.J.

Casey said...

I've been reading 3 Cups of Tea lately, and it is really good. Can't put it down. Also a true story.

Heather said...

Thanks Casey for the suggestion if I get the chance too I will pick it up. Gotta love the true stories!

Casey said...

Do you guys get English books easily there? They are pretty much non existent here, but a friend (who knows I like to read) sent me a Amazon Kindle for Christmas and it's life changing. Books are cheaper and you can get them within seconds from your computer. Might be a bit pricey, but well worth it for people addicted to reading.

Heather said...

Casey, it's funny because just yesterday I was hanging out with a Chinese friend of mine and he told me he was reading "three cups of tea" and he agreed to lend it to me. It's not super easy to get books, but when you do they're like $1.50. Chris rocks the Kindle and I should look into it as an option. Thanks again for the book suggestion, I'm digging it so far.