1.24.2010

Hong Kong Attractions


So you're heading to Hong Kong and you want to know what to do? Here's a list of the things my family and I have done and what our experience were from the past couple times we were in Hong Kong. I hope this helps, if you have questions feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you.


Going up the tram to The Peak of Mount Victoria - To be honest this is my favorite thing to check out in all of Hong Kong. Getting to see the city from the peak of Mount Victoria is spectacular to say the least. It’s an incredible way to see Hong Kong in a different way and will leave you breathless. The only thing is this… once you get there maybe you take 15-30 minutes to snap some pics and take in the view and then you head back down, so it’s not an outing you need much time for. However there is shopping and restaurants at the top also.

Victoria park - My family and I had a really fun time walking through Victoria Park, exploring all it has to offer and stopping at many of the playgrounds and parks throughout it. If you’re traveling with kids this is a great place to spend time as a family. I would suggest it to my closet friend (and my farthest enemy???)

Ferry ride across harbor - My 4 year old daughter LOVES taking the ferry and when we’re in Hong Kong it’s a must do thing. I think that it’s fun because how often in our normal lives do we take a ferry? And along the same lines as the peak, the ferry ride presents a different way of seeing Hong Kong. If you’re not sold yet, it’s also super cheap.

View of the harbor - Along the peninsula (Kowloon) there are some areas setup to view and snap pictures of the famous Hong Kong skyline which is a fun place to stop and do such. It doesn’t take long to do this and you can do it as soon as you get off the Ferry making it super convenient. Then afterwards every time you see the Hong Kong skyline (which is the view of the harbor) you can turn to the person next to you and say “I’ve been there”, which is deeply satisfying.

Walk around the downtown area - My family and I seem to do this each time we’re in Hong Kong which is fun and helps us to get out and get some exercise. All you do is head to the Central area and just start walking and see where you end up. There are TONS of skyway ramps connecting a multitude of malls that are fun to walk through and explore as you shop for a souvenir to take home. There are also lots of coffee shops and restaurants to make this an even more enjoyable thing to do.

Eat good food - Weather eating new and unique ethnic food or just enjoying some good western food, Hong Kong offers it all. In addition to food from; Nepal, Thailand, China, Australia, Italy, India, Vietnam, Egypt, France, and many more places, you will also find; TGIF, Outback Steakhouse, Fat Angelo’s, Spaghetti House, Burger King, McDonald’s, Pizza Hut, Duke’s Deli and other western cafes and restaurants. Click here for my review of the restaurants of Hong Kong!

Day trip to Shenzhen - If Hong Kong doesn’t offer enough for you to do or you have some time to kill, take a day to head into mainland China by way of the city Shenzhen. Each time my wife and I go through Shenzhen we usually say something like “Why don’t we live here?” or some other variation. We say this because Shenzhen is; a really nice, beautiful, and unique city. I don’t know much about the city, but maybe you can go and find something you like as well as discover somewhere new. To get there by bus you will pay $15 or 100RMB.

Take one of the trolleys - Not only is this a cheap and convenient way to travel, it’s also a fun, nostalgic way to go around the city and see the different parts of Hong Kong. My family easily got on and off the trolley and it seemed like they came very often. It was nice also because they would take us directly downtown. It was especially fun to ride on the top level of the trolley to get an even better view of the passing buildings.

Visit Hong Kong Park (and Aviary) - Ummm, it’s safe to say that this park and how much we enjoyed it surprised me. First off, my family kinda stumbled into the park as we were looking for things to do, and I was so glad we did. It was actually an incredible contrast to be in a lush green park with streams of water (and even a waterfall) surrounded by tall trees, and to look just beyond the tree tops to see the modern sleek buildings of Hong Kong behind them. As we strolled through the park we also came to 5 or 6 levels of kids playground areas. It was a fun place for the kids to burn off energy. Lastly Hong Kong Park also has a Bird Aviary, which is a large enclosed bird area. We spent about half an hour going through the Aviary and loved looking at each of the birds. Our four year old loved it and it was FREE!

Day trip to Macao - Truth be told I didn’t actually do this while in Hong Kong, but did see Ferries offering to make the trip. If I had the time and it was only my wife and I, I would have loved to make the trip out and back. Again, this is just another thing on a long list of things to do in Hong Kong.

Disneyland - OK so my family and I didn’t go to Disneyland, but it seems like a cool thing to do. Of course you need ridiculous amounts of money to do this though.

Giant Buddha - We also didn’t get to visit the world’s largest sitting Buddha, but if you had enough time to do it, it would be cool to see.

Well I hope that helps you as you plan for your trip. If this was helpful, let me know by leaving a comment.

(Sorry to end this list with a few things that we didn’t do, but I thought that if you were going to Hong Kong you might want to visit some of these sites.)

Enjoy this day,
Matt

Save to delicious Saved by 0 users

0 comments: